What should I study after the +2?
This is the most confusing question students face after clearing their +2 board examinations. Choosing what to study after +2 is the most critical decision for a student as it greatly influences their career prospects and job opportunities in the future.
Unfortunately, too many students choose their course at the last minute without proper research and end up on paths that are popular but not on par with their preference, abilities, passion, and aptitude.
The plethora of courses available after Plus Two (+2) makes it quite challenging for the students to choose the right choice. Lack of proper, timely information makes the situation even worse.
Therefore, it is important to begin early and know what options lay ahead of you after +2 to make an intelligent and calculated decision.
How to Choose the Right Course After +2 in Nepal?
There are numerous exciting and lucrative courses available after +2 in Nepal, and choosing the best option requires self-analysis, critical thinking, and well-informed decision-making.
Here are some of the suggestions to help you choose the right course:
- Do Research: The first and the foremost thing to do before deciding on a course is to do a thorough research of various courses available in Nepal after completing the +2.
Gain an in-depth view of all the courses in various domains. Besides these, you should gather information regarding course fees, duration, eligibility criteria, and the premier institutions/universities.
- Get Guidance: As there are plenty of undergraduate courses available in Nepal, guidance from parents, relatives, teachers, or educational consultants can help narrow down the list of options.
- Know Yourself: While choosing an undergraduate course, you should clearly know your abilities, interests, aptitudes, personality, and passion. Analyzing your academic strengths and weaknesses will help you choose the course that best suits you.
- Explore Career Prospects: Gain insights into all the career prospects and job opportunities associated with the courses in your area of interest. So, you can choose a UG course with potentially great career choices. You can talk to your seniors, teachers, or educational consultants to get a better idea.
- Check for Scholarships: Undergraduate courses can be expensive, especially medicine and professional courses. So, it is advised to check if there are any scholarships available for your preferred courses. You should also gather information about the fee reimbursement scholarships provided by the Nepali Government.
- Attend Entrance Examinations: Once after selecting a course that best suits you, you need to find out if there are any entrance examinations. Gain knowledge regarding the examination details, dates, and fees. Talk to your seniors or teachers for better guidance.
List of Best Courses After +2 in Nepal
There are several undergraduate courses in Nepal that are categorized based on various academic streams, including Science, Arts, Commerce, and Humanities. Scroll down to explore all the bachelor’s degree courses.
Undergraduate Courses for +2 Science Students
The Science stream is categorized into PCM (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics) Group and PCB (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) Group.
Top Courses After +2 For Mathematics Group
1) B.Tech or BE
Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) or Bachelor of Engineering (BE) is the most preferred undergraduate course in Nepal for Plus 2 students with mathematics stream.
It is a four-year-long degree program. The scope and popularity of engineering in Nepal are gaining more popularity with increased colleges and institutes affiliated to Tribhuwan University, Kathmandu University, and Pokhara University.
Popular engineering specializations in Nepal:
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronic Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Aeronautical Engineering
Exciting and futuristic Engineering Specializations:
|Data Science and Engineering
||Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
||Materials Science and Engineering
Bachelor of Science (BSc) is an undergraduate degree course usually for three years duration. It is one of the most popular course choices among +2 Science students who want to make their career in the field of Science.
It is offered in a variety of Science subjects at a majority of universities in Nepal. Some of the top BSc courses in Nepal are:
- BSc. Computer Science
- BSc. Chemistry
- BSc. Mathematics
- BSc. Physics
- BSc. IT
- BSc. Electronics
- BSc. Electronics and Communication
B.Arch. (Bachelor of Architecture) is a five years long undergraduate level degree course related to the field of Architecture. Students require a minimum of 50% aggregate marks in PCM subjects.
Top Courses After +2 For Biology Group
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) is the first preference for 12th students with PCB background. The duration of the MBBS course is five years and six months, including one year of internship. There are many medical colleges in the country, including Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu University, Patan Academy of Medical Sciences, and BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences at Dharan.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) is a 5-years long undergraduate course. There are many TU- and KU-affiliated colleges that offer BDS courses. Increasing awareness of oral health and the introduction of non-fields like oral pathology, periodontist, and orthodontics in Nepal has enhanced the scope in this field.
Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (BAMS) is a five-and-a-half-year course, including one year of internship. This field’s scope is very high as Ayurvedic medication is gaining popularity in Nepal and across the world.
Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery (BHMS) is a five-and-a-half-year course that mainly focuses on the alternative medical system of homeopathy. However, Purbanchal University is the only institute that offers a BHMS course.
Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm) is a 4-years long undergraduate course in the field of pharmaceutical science. It is a career-oriented course, and it is mandatory for those if you aspire to be a pharmacist.
6) Pharm D
Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) in Nepal is a recent phenomenon. Nepali Government introduced the course in 2010. Kathmandu University is the only institute offering a Pharm D program.
Bachelor of Physiotherapy (BPT) is a 4-year UG course that deals with the science of physical movement and preventing disability and diseases of movement. Currently, Kathmandu University and Pokhara University are the only institutes offering BPT in Nepal.
Bachelor of Science (BSc) is a 3-year undergraduate degree course. Some of the BSc programs for Biology Group students are:
||B.Sc. Environmental Science
||B.Sc. Occupational Therapy
||B.Sc. Forensic Science
||B.Sc. Speech Therapy
||B.Sc. Health Science and Nutrition
Undergraduate Courses for +2 Commerce Students
There are many popular courses at the UG level for students who have studied +2 Commerce (with/without maths). Some of the most common course after +2 Commerce in Nepal are:
- CA (Chartered Accountancy)
- B.Com. with Accounting and Finance
- B.Com. (with IT, Computer Applications, Marketing, Finance, etc.)
- BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration)
- BBA-BI (Banking and Insurance)
- BBS (Bachelor of Business Studies)
- BMS (Bachelor of Management Studies)
- BBM (Bachelor of Business Management)
- CS (Company Secretary)
- CMA (Cost & Management Accountancy)
Undergraduate Courses for +2 Arts Students
Bachelor of Arts (BA) is the most popular choice among +2 students with an Arts background. This 3-year long program covers a host of subjects, providing a wide variety of courses for Arts students. Some of the BA courses are:
|BA in Hindi
||BA in Nepali
||BA in English
||BA in Sanskrit
||BA in Anthropology
|BA in Film Studies
||BA in Geography
||BA in History
||BA in Economics
||BA in Psychology
|BA in Sociology
||BA in Linguistics
||BA in Music
||BA in Dance
||BA in Buddhist Studies
|BA in Strategic Studies
||BA in Home Science
||BA in Political Science
||BA in Population Studies
||BA in Rural Development
|BA in Social Work
||BA in Journalism and Mass Communication
||BA in Nepalese History, Culture, and Archaeology (NeHCA)
Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) is a 4-year undergraduate degree in the field of arts and design. It aims at developing students’ artistic skills and creativity.
Undergraduate Courses for +2 Students of any Stream
There are many UG level programs available in Nepal for +2 students from any steams, including PCM, PCB, Commerce, and Arts. Depending on your aptitude and personal interest, you can pick any of the below courses:
Want to serve the people by fighting for their justice? Choose LLB (Bachelor of Law) degree
- BA. LL.B.
- B.Sc. LL.B.
- B.Com. LL.B.
- B.A. LL.B.
Gifted with an artistic bent of mind? Pursue courses in the following fields:
|Fashion/ Apparel / Costume / Knitwear Design
||Textile Design / Surface Design
||Lifestyle Accessories Design/ Leather Design/ Jewellery Design
||Visual Communication Design
||Graphic Design/ Web Design/ UI-UX Design
|Film and Video Design / SFX/ VFX Design
||Fine Arts/ Visual Arts/ Sculpture
||Material Design/ Ceramic Design/ Craft Design
|Interior / Furniture Design
Proficient in language and communication? Choose:
- Bachelor in Journalism and Mass Communication / Mass Media Studies
- Bachelor in English/ other languages
Looking to kick-start your career? Pursue a degree in:
- Culinary Arts; Bakery & Confectionary
- Hotel Management; Hotel & Catering Administration and Management
- Travel and Tourism Management; Travel Administration; Aviation Management
Interested in fitness and health? Prefer:
- Bachelor of Physical Education (B.P.Ed.)
- B.Sc. in Sports Science and Nutrition
- B.Sc. in Physical Education and Sports Science
- B.Sc. in Sports Science
- BBA in Sports Management
- Bachelor of Sports Management (BSM)
- BA in Sports Management
- BA in Yoga
- BA in Physical Education
The list is not exhaustive!
There are plenty of other non-academic/technical courses and training programs in Nepal.
However, despite the vast number of courses available, the six suggestions mentioned above will help you choose the course that best suits your interests. Start early, research deeply, and make a well-informed decision.
All the best!